What is the focus of this program?
The Functional Athlete is a 12-week program focused on helping you optimize function, shed stubborn body fat, improve mobility, and enhance your athletic performance.
What is the training schedule/split?
Functional Athlete Training Schedule:
Day 1 - FULL BODY PUSH STRENGTH (legs/chest/triceps/shoulders/core)
Day 2 - AEROBIC CONDITIONING + UPPER PULL (biceps/back/shoulders)
Day 3 - MOBILITY, MAINTENANCE, & RECOVERY
Day 4 - FULL BODY PULL STRENGTH (glutes/biceps/back/core)
Day 5 - METABOLIC CONDITIONING + UPPER PUSH (chest/triceps/shoulders)
Day 6 - FLEX DAY (walk, active recovery, occasional bonus workout)
Day 7 - OFF
What does each day entail?
Days 1 & 4 - FULL BODY STRENGTH
- Full body push and pull focused strength movements
- Lower Body: Push = squats & lunges | Pull = deadlifts & hip-dominate unilateral movements
- Upper Body: Push = dips, bench press, overhead press | Pull = rows, high pulls, pull ups, curls
- Rep Range: 3-15x reps
Days 2 & 5 - AEROBIC/METABOLIC CONDITIONING + UPPER ACCESSORY WORK
- Energy system training either focusing on the aerobic or metabolic energy system for optimizing efficiency, improving muscle tone, and increasing fat loss
- Upper Accessory Work: Pull-focus = bicep, back, and shoulder focused movements | Push-focus = chest, tricep, and shoulder focused
- Rep Range: 8-15x reps
Day 3 - MOBILITY/MAINTENANCE & ACTIVE RECOVERY
- Training sessions focused on promoting blood flow, improving joint health, and increasing functional mobility. AKA, all the crap you don't want to do, but you know is good for you, pushed into 1x day each week!
- Blood Flow/Active Recovery: low-intensity steady state aerobic activity (occasionally I throw some speed work in on these days, but not often!)
- Maintenance Work: light load, optimal form focusing on improving strength at the end-range of motion for each joint
- Mobility Work: improving your joints available range of motion through static + dynamic stretches, mobility flows, & soft tissue work
What equipment do I need for this program?
At the very least:
- 2+ Kettlebells
- Set of long Resistance bands
- Jump rope
Optimal Equipment List:
- Set of Dumbbells (ideally having 3+ pairs of dumbbells)
- Full set of resistance bands and resistance loops
- Jump Rope
- Pull Up Bar
- 1-2x Cardio Equipment (bike, rower erg, elliptical, treadmill, stair stepper, ski erg, etc.)
- Medicine ball
- Yoga mat